If you have earned an associate degree or taken courses from an NC community college, many of the credits you earned may count toward a four-year degree from any UNC System university. Do you have plans to extend your higher education career? Make the most out of your community college studies. Careful planning will help you proceed toward the completion of a four-year degree with efficiency and minimal cost.
Special Considerations for NC Community College Transfer Students
The UNC System and the NC Community College System have worked together to encourage more students to transfer into the University after completing their studies at the community college level. To this same end, individual UNC System institutions have also established unique partnerships with nearby community colleges.
These agreements make it easier than ever before for students to transition from community college into the UNC System. Nevertheless, you will need to plan carefully as you make arrangements to transfer. As you begin to think about transfer options, keep in mind the following points:
- Before transferring to a UNC System institution, some community college students finish an associate degree (AA, AS or AFA), while others may just take a few community college courses eligible to count as credit toward a four-year university degree. Completing an associate degree is highly recommended, but doing so is not required.
- Completion of an associate degree does not guarantee admission to a UNC System institution. Each university has unique entrance requirements and standards, so students are advised to pursue multiple options as they transition from community college into the UNC System.
- The UNC System grants students who earn an associate degree 60-61 credit hours and the status of “junior” upon acceptance at a constituent institution.
- Many institutions have “pathways,” called baccalaureate degree plans. Pathways make the transfer process more efficient. These plans differ from institution to institution, but every plan identifies the community college classes a student could take to satisfy prerequisites for upper-level courses in common majors. The links provided at the bottom of this page direct users to information about the degree plans and transfer policies at each UNC System institution.
How do I transfer to the UNC System from a NC Community College?
- Review the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA), a statewide agreement governing the transfer of credits between NC community colleges and the UNC System. The transfer course list explains which NC community college courses will be eligible to count as credits at all 16 universities in the UNC System.
- Review the admission requirements at the individual institutions you are considering; each institution’s requirements will vary.
- Review this list of active partnerships between individual community colleges and System institutions. In some cases, formal agreements have been established in order to facilitate transfer student success.
- Choose a baccalaureate degree plan using the links below. Finding and following an approved degree plan will help you plot your pathway toward graduation with efficiency. This will save you time and money. Mapping out a pathway in advance will help you focus on community college courses that will fulfill the prerequisites for the upper-level courses you’ll need at the university.
- Review the transfer course equivalencies at the institution you are transferring to. Even if you did not complete an associate degree, many of the courses you completed at the community college level will count toward your four-year degree.
- Fill out a free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and visit the Financial Aid office on the campus of your choice.
- If you have community college credit but didn’t complete an associate degree, the courses you take at a UNC System institution might also help you complete the requirements towards a two-year degree. Learn more about reverse transfer.
Keep in mind that these are general suggestions. We strongly encourage you to contact a transfer counselor and/or attend a transfer admission events at your chosen campus.
CAA Baccalaureate Degree Plans
The links below lead to each institution’s baccalaureate degree plans. These plans were developed to help students identify pathways that will lead them from associate degree completion, to admission into a major at a UNC System university, and finally to baccalaureate completion.
Baccalaureate degree plans aren’t in place for all majors at every institution. For institutions that do not have established degree plans, the links below will lead to the registrar’s office, where students can find more information about how to transfer credit and how to contact the transfer advisor.
|Appalachian State University||Jane Rex||Director, Office of Transfer Servicesemail@example.com|
|Appalachian State University||Selena Dollar||Asst. Director, Transfer Articulationfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Appalachian State University||Beth Watts||Transfer Transition Advisoremail@example.com|
|Appalachian State University||Jayne Dowdy||Associate Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|East Carolina University||Joshua Dail||Veterans Affairs Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|East Carolina University||Jeffrey Netznik||Associate Director for Military Outreachfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|East Carolina University||Millicent Thomas||Online Learning Support Advisoremail@example.com|
|East Carolina University||Erica Hoyt||Associate Director for Transfer Recruitmentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Elizabeth City State University||Harold Murrill||Admissions/Transfer Counseloremail@example.com|
|Elizabeth City State University||Larry Wilson||Admissions / Transfer Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Elizabeth City State University||LaTonya Lewis Jones||Admissions / Transfer Counseloremail@example.com|
|Fayetteville State University||Jonathan Cobb||Assistant Director of Admission Transfersfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Fayetteville State University||Darnette Hall||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|Fayetteville State University||Brooke Vann||Admissions Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Fayetteville State University||R. Donte’ Wise||Senior Assistant Director of Admission/Transfer Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|North Carolina A&T State University||Jameia A. Tennie||Interim Director of Undergraduate Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|North Carolina A&T State University||Christopher Carico||Transfer Admissions Counseloremail@example.com|
|North Carolina A&T State University||Essence Largent||Transfer Admissions Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|North Carolina Central University||Denettia Shaw||Director of Transfer Servicesemail@example.com|
|North Carolina Central University||Hepston H. Henry, II||Veterans Affairs Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|North Carolina Central University||Paul B. Phipps||Student Services Specialistemail@example.com|
|North Carolina State University||Taylor Holland||Associate Director of Admissions and Transfer Admissions Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Asheville||Grayson Randall||Transfer Admissions Counseloremail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Melody Levy||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Andrew Parrish||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||August Armbrister||Admissions Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Hayes Boylston||Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Sloan Johnson||Admissions Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Heather May||Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Olivia Miller||Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Allee Olive||Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Rebecca Egbert||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Maria Rodriguez||Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Ni-Eric Perkins||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Madeline Snider||Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Brian Woodard||Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Rickita Worrell||Assistant Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC-Chapel Hill||Patty Haydon||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Charlotte||Barbara Seyter||Senior Associate Director (Undergraduate Admissions)||704-687- email@example.com|
|UNC Charlotte||Jami Dawkins||Assistant Director, Transfer Outreach (Undergraduate Admissions)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Charlotte||Lauren Grimes||Transfer Admissions Counselor (Undergraduate Admissions)||email@example.com|
|UNC Charlotte||Kaitlyn Kubacki||Transfer Admissions Counselor (Undergraduate Admissions)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Greensboro||Clay Alexander||Associate Directoremail@example.com|
|UNC Greensboro||Kelly Caudle||Associate Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Greensboro||Nita Albrecht||Associate Directoremail@example.com|
|UNC Greensboro||Josh Artrip||Senior Assistant Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Greensboro||Andre’ Hill||Senior Assistant Directoremail@example.com|
|UNC Greensboro||Lindsey Kennedy||Assistant Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Greensboro||Sarah Griffin||Admissions Counseloremail@example.com|
|UNC Greensboro||Matthew McKay||Admissions Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Greensboro||Michael Clinton||Admissions Counseloremail@example.com|
|UNC Greensboro||Angie Moore||Student Services Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Greensboro||Kacy S. McAdoo||Senior Associate Directoremail@example.com|
|UNC Pembroke||Amber Dial||Data Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Pembroke||Engle Revels||Associate Director of Admissionsemail@example.com|
|UNC Wilmington||Micah Jarrett||Transfer Admission Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Wilmington||Cassidy Bailey||Transfer Admission Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|UNC Wilmington||Jessica Horne||Assistant Director of Transfer Admissionfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Wilmington||Jo Hannah Fitzwater||Transfer Admission Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|UNC Wilmington||Erica Bowen||Transfer Admission Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Wilmington||Karla Blanton||Assistant Director of Transfer Admissionemail@example.com|
|UNC Wilmington||Emilee Farnes||Transfer Admission Coordinator (Onslow Campus)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|UNC Wilmington||Nile McKibben||Transfer Admission Coordinator (Camp Lejune)||email@example.com|
|Western Carolina University||Heather Hill||Senior Assistant Director of Admissionfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Western Carolina University||Emily Bingham||Transfer Counseloremail@example.com|
|Western Carolina University||Hannah Scott||Transfer Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Western Carolina University||Keri Clark||Transfer Counseloremail@example.com|
|Winston-Salem State University||Marquita Graves||Associate Registrarfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Winston-Salem State University||Chenetta Mallette||Assistant Registraremail@example.com|
|Winston-Salem State University||Kerwin Graham||Director of Admissionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|