FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CHAPEL HILL, NC – University of North Carolina System Interim President Bill Roper and University of North Carolina School of the Arts Board of Trustees Chair Ralph Womble have announced the formation of an 20-member search committee tasked with locating a candidate for the position of chancellor of UNCSA.
“I am pleased with the makeup of this committee. It is a group of highly respected leaders, administrators, faculty, staff, alumni and students from UNCSA,” Roper said. “We anticipate a transparent process with much input from the many stakeholders and members of the campus community. I am grateful to those who have agreed to serve on the committee to identify the perfect candidate for this very important role.”
The committee will make recommendations to the full UNCSA Board of Trustees, which will vote on candidates to recommend to Dr. Roper. Dr. Roper will then recommend a candidate to the UNC Board of Governors, which will elect the new chancellor.
“This will be an important leadership decision and our committee members are excited to engage in the process. UNCSA is known internationally and nationally for educating generations of artists and creative leaders and we are confident we will find the right person to lead us into the future,” said Chair Womble.
In July, Dr. Roper named Brian Cole to serve as interim chancellor effective Aug. 1. Cole, who was previously dean of the School of Music at UNCSA, assumed his new role following the departure of Lindsay Bierman, who stepped down July 31 after five years as chancellor of UNCSA. Bierman was appointed by Dr. Roper as the new chief executive officer of UNC-TV Public Media North Carolina and assumed that role on Aug. 12. Both UNCSA and UNC-TV Public Media North Carolina are a part of the University of North Carolina System.
The UNCSA Chancellor Search Committee will consist of:
- Mr. Ralph Womble, Chair, UNCSA Board of Trustees (Committee Chair)
- Mr. Phillip Horne, member, UNCSA Board of Trustees
- Ms. Elizabeth Madden, member, UNCSA Board of Trustees
- Ms. Erna Womble, member, UNCSA Board of Trustees
- Ms. Maura Wetzel, President, UNCSA Student Government
- Ms. Erin Edge, alumni
- Mr. Mark Land, alumni
- Mr. Peter Juran, UNCSA Foundation
- Ms. Nola Miller, UNCSA Foundation
- Mr. John Hoemann, community representative
- Ms. Jerri Irby, community representative
- Mr. Charlie Lucas, community representative
- Ms. Anne Rainey Rokahr, community representative
- Mr. Cameron Knight, faculty
- Ms. Beth Thompson, faculty
- Dr. Mike Wakeford, faculty
- Ms. Susan Jaffe, staff representative
- Mr. Edward Lewis, staff representative
- Ms. Elizabeth White, staff representative
- Mr. Tom Kenan, ex-officio member